Sunday, November 11, 2012

Evening Attire

Last evening I walked the red carpet with Mr. Mickey by my side. The cameras were flashing, and there was an adoring crowd. 

OK, it wasn't THAT red carpet, but it was fun!


We attended the 'Spirits of the Season' gala for the American Cancer Society, after which we attended the November performance of the Johnson City Symphony Orchestra. The evening's events allowed me to view all ages and sizes of ladies in their evening finery. 

Try to remember that if it isn't appropriate for your age and body shape or size during the day, it doesn't magically become so after dark. I saw dresses that were too small, too short, too plunging, and too shiny for the women who chose to wear them. Some ladies seemed to be wearing every single piece of bling they owned, and if that wasn't enough, they also wore glittery eye shadow. Oh my!

Many of my friends who attend these functions regularly were also at both events.  I noticed that there was a common thread uniting all of us. We were dressed in attire that was devoid of excess glitter, extra bling, or plunging necklines. There wasn't a bare back or arm among us. I dare say none of us rushed down to the local Pageant Boutique to buy a special dress for this event. We looked attractive, comfortable, and appropriate for any evening event. 

Dressing well includes being comfortable. If you look silly in your skin tight satin dress without the benefit of proper foundation garments at home, you will not look better when you get to the event. 

I strongly believe that you should combine the clothes you already own to make them work for any occasion. You have seen some elements of my recent looks before, which proves I make investments in clothes and shoes that can be worn many times in different combinations to earn their worth. 

Your attire at any event should reflect a confident, well-dressed woman who is comfortable in her own skin. I would prefer to look as if I've been here many times and it's no big deal instead of "I'm wearing my daughter's slinky prom dress with four-inch heels I can't walk in."

You may also be attending parties and special black tie events this season so remember these tips when you do. Be comfortable. Maintain your dignity. Be true to yourself. Look special and elegant. Have fun!

7 comments:

Patti said...

Ah, to be comfortable in our own skin - that's the key! You look lovely and elegant, Susan, and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

Anonymous said...

Susan, you are so elegant and classy!
You look wonderful in your red carpet ensemble!
I love the name of your blog, btw!

Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

Gorgeous and Classy
Xo Megan

Adrienne Shubin said...

Great advice. Every woman, regardless of age, should read this post.
I agree wholeheartedly about the overly blinged out look. I find it so distracting! It takes away from a woman's true beauty. A little bit of bling goes a long, long way.
You look elegant and so well put together. Bravo!

Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan :-)
New on your blog which I like.
You are very stylish and very wise. You are so right: being elegant also means being dressed in an appropriate way...
Nice scarf by the way!
All the best,
Anne (Playing with Scarves)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful woman you are...and elegant style. So glad I found your blog through Visible Monday.

Susan said...

Thanks for your kind comments everyone!