Thursday, November 15, 2012

Invest in Your Style


The confident well-dressed woman understands that her core wardrobe will serve her well for years to come if she invests in quality, classics, and colors that complement her own coloring. She updates her look with a few trending items each season to stay current. She does not feel the need to dress in all the current trends from head to toe.

Dressing in too many trends at once actually makes you look older and as if you are trying too hard. Rather than sporting a color-blocked peplum top with skinny jeans, an animal print bag, and platform shoes, try adding a colorful animal print scarf and red flats to update your look. It's a subtle way to say, "I know the current style, but I also know who I am."

Thank you for your kind comments on my last blog post!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog . . . love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect! Well said! :D

JacquiG said...

Love your blog, your style, and the items you select on your Polyvore page.

I agree with your philosophy of quality mix and match items in a wardrobe, I just struggle implementing it, with putting it together and with actually spending a larger amount of money on one item. I guess it takes a while to change ones mindset after years of shopping sales with an "it'll do" attitude.

Do you have any advice on wardrobe and shopping for larger women who are slowly losing weight? I don't want to spend a lot of money on any item of clothing as I'm hoping it won't fit for very long. Where should I be spending my small clothing budget? What are the important items I should focus on when I go shopping? Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

Susan said...

Thank you so much for your comments.

I went through the transition of buying clothes in a smaller size only to have to go out in three months to buy them again as I went from a size 12 down to a size 6 in about six months. I didn't realize it would make so much difference with only a forty pound weight loss.

Key pieces that fit your life style and that you wear every week should be the first pieces you buy. Get nice enough for now items so that you don't feel so bad when you shrink out of them in six months and have to go buy more. Give away the items that are too big for you now. That way you won't have the safety net allowing you to not be so diligent about your progress. If you wear jeans and a sweater often, (for example) buy them from Khol's or Ross for now. When you get to the weight you want to be, reward yourself with a few new pieces in the best quality you can afford.

I wish you the best of luck!

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

This outfit hits all the right notes for me (age 57)! Love the red flats. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday - and your polyvore pages are terrific!

Susan said...

Thanks for your comments everyone!