Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Column Dressing

Column dressing is using color to create a long slender illusion.

  
I often use this dressing technique to appear taller and slimmer. Choose a top and pants in the same color and a topper in another color. A topper can be a sweater, a jacket, vest, or a blouse left mostly open or even a large scarf draped across your shoulders. 
 

Add accessories that tie into the color of your topper to look really polished and put together. Looking at the pieces already in your closet in a different way can often give you new combinations.




Thank you for reading and for all your kind comments. I hope you have a great day.

10 comments:

mel said...

I am new to your blog and so happy I found it. Almost 58 years old and trying to figure out how not to let the frumpies get me!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I really like each of these looks and would wear them in a heartbeat. I actually have all of the pieces for the second one. The jacket in the polyvore is amazing. I always have people ask me why I feature items from Lane Bryant. I have learned this secret on how to dress slimming...believe I wish I was slim, but learning how to create the illusion has certainly helped! have a wonderful Weds!!

it"s me said...

This is such a good idea..it really works. Thank you for all the great ideas for outfits on polyvore..I look
forward to seeing each new combination. Your blog has so much inspiration and great styling.

Karen D. Austin said...

Lovely! I am under five feet tall, so my challenge is to find items like the long vests that are cut to my proportions; otherwise, I'm drowning in them. But I agree that this look is gorgeous.

Sharon Greenthal said...

The column effect never fails to work. As much as I think I can wear a more colorful combination, monochromatic with a touch of color is really best for me. Once again you've knocked it out of the park!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE column dressing. My way of wearing "loud" jackets/vests, sweaters, etc., over my plain/solid pants/skirts/dresses.

Plus, it is helpful that it also slenderizes my body.

The green outfit shown is FAB. LOVE everything you highlight. Keep up the good work.

Dot said...

Love this look, you always look so elegant Susan. The grey shoea in the first picture are lovely x

Anonymous said...

Oh, you look FABULOUS!
Perfect accessories!

Anonymous said...

I've always been a fan of that look, I just didn't know it had a name!

TiffanyJane said...

Beautiful pics!!