Sunday, January 12, 2014

Another Adventure

Have you ever had to totally change your plans after you arrived at your destination?


We planned to go shopping in Abingdon, Virginia, for part of the day and then make early dinner reservations at a great restaurant we recently visited. Since this is not a busy time of year for them, I thought we would just call earlier in the day for the first seating. We found that the restaurant and many others in town were either closed for the whole month or operating with a minimal lounge menu.



This is the always inviting porch at the Martha, where the desk manager told us about a great new cafĂ© around the corner.


So off we go on a new adventure.


Earlier, we stopped briefly at their small T.J.Maxx. I have been looking for a luggage or camel color bag to replace my Liz Claiborne bag. After being carried for several years, it was time to retire it because the zipper finally broke. I was thrilled when I found this Michael Kors one that I have been coveting for more than a year! None of the other stores I have visited still had one in stock, so I was thrilled to find this one at a much lower price than the ones I had been looking at online.



Instead of complaining about my lack of planning, the wonderful Mr. Mickey smiled and suggested we try the new place. It turned out to be great! We will revisit 128 Pecan.



The Virginia Creeper Trail starts a couple of blocks from downtown Abingdon.




An old railroad track was converted to a bike path that extends to the top of Whitetop Mountain. We have actually ridden our bikes from the top of the mountain into Damascus but not all the way back to Abingdon. Perhaps on another day, we will try that.




No Saturday adventure is ever complete until we have shared an afternoon dessert. On this day, we stopped at Anthony's Desserts for a coconut cream pie tart. 

Mickey found the old book on French Country style is one of the shops we visited. He knows how French my heart is.



We saw a large house on the hill off in the distance, so of course, I suggested we get a closer look. The road that passed by the house continued upon the ridge, so we drove to the end of it, where we saw this awe-inspiring panoramic view of mountains and rolling pastures on three sides.

Today's outfit includes a long sleeve white tee, a blue Ponte jacket, and black So Slimming jeans, all from Chico's. The short boots are Madden Girl from Belk a couple of years ago.

16 comments:

Nancy Butterworth said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Beautiful as always!

Betty (SC) said...

Wonderful trip! Lovely scenery! Glad it worked out so well after all! Always fun to discover new places! - Love your blue jacket - and that BAG! Great find!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I am so jealous you found that bag at TJ Maxx...a wonderful find!! This blue is stunning on you as well! My daughter and her husband went to see the Taj Mahal on their honeymoon and it was unexpectedly closed for the day...they were so upset...it is not like they will go back anytime soon if ever. Sometimes plans just have to change...You look lovely as always, Susan

Patti said...

We love to have our plans changed for us sometimes, too - it makes for good memories! You look gorgeous and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

Unknown said...

You look absolutely beautiful:) love the jacket:) have a lovely week. Kisses Beata

Tami Von Zalez said...

We both chose a blue with black combo - lurvs it!

Popped by from Visible Monday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

God bless you for being able to shop in those heels! You look great! xoxo

Unknown said...

LOVE your new Michael Kors bag.
The coconut tart looks scrumptious! I now have a killer sweet tooth. ha

Rachel said...

The perfect way to spend a day. I have to say that pie looks delicious. I love the colour of your jacket, it makes a real statement. You look very stylish and elegant :-)

Fancifrocks said...

Lovely trip . I just recently purchased the same bag ( but one size small) on a recent trip to Honolulu with my daughter. I'm from Australia and some of your brands are so expensive over here . So we spend up when we travel!

Fancifrocks said...

What a lovely day out. I just recently purchased the same bag ( but one size smaller) on a recent trip to Honolulu with my daughter . Some of your brands are very expensive in Australia so we spend up when we travel! Cheers !

Donna said...

Your dates with Mr Mickey are great on lots of levels: the companionship, the scenery, the food, and yes, the adventure. I love that shade of blue on you. The black and white animal print scarf is perfect with it. The MK bag is fabulous. The pie looks yummy...did you have a tiny taste?

Susan said...

Donna... I did have some of that dessert and it was yummy!

renae said...

Great ensemble and great diversions or arrangements. I love that color of blue yet have yet to find in in my thrift haunts. Wish me luck? lol

Jennie @ Got My Reservations said...

I had to laugh at your otherwise delightful post -- I have that book in my library! I guess that makes me vintage as well. Looks like you had a wonderful day.

meriusa said...

Wonderful post !Everything is included : adventure with the partner ,elegant fashion ,good -looking blue jacket ,delicious dessert, ,beautiful landscape.
Thank you for sharing