Friday, November 28, 2014

Bundled Up!

We don't get much snow here in East Tennessee, but we did wake up to a light dusting on Thanksgiving day.



When the cold weather comes, you will find me in lightweight layers, including a hat, a scarf, and an overcoat. Winter and I are not friends.


 
I must tell you about this hat. I was inspired to find my own version after seeing a similar fedora on a high-end shopping site for $195! 

I found this one at T.J.Maxx for $24.99. After removing the colorful ribbon and leather braid that it came with, I added this gray grosgrain ribbon and two gunmetal colored buttons to the back to create the look for less.



Below is a photo of the hat's back showing how I folded the ribbon ends over, glued them down, and then sewed two on small silver-gray buttons.







The over the knee boots are by Vince Camuto via Belk. They are perfect for muscular calves because only the front is leather. The backs are a stretch material that makes them very comfortable to wear.


Tip for putting long boots on over leggings. Put your knee socks on over the pants legs, then pull the boots on.


I found the coat at Ann Taylor Loft earlier this year, but it is now sold out. The scarf is by Vince Camuto via Saks Off 5th.






5 comments:

Unknown said...

THis has to be the best outfit ever. I want all of it.

Lynn said...

I love this look! I could even do a version of this. You look great in the fedora, very classy with a dash of sexy. :)

eleni said...

Dear Susan, love all your posts. This look is absolutely perfect for a "cooler day"... Covers all the bases. It's really quite ageless, and being in my late 70's I feel very much included in this post.

Thank you.

meriusa said...

Most of all I like your fedora .How chic you have transformed it !You look great in the hat .I wish nice winter time in Tennessee !

Unknown said...

Madam, that is NOT snow. Snow is what is preventing me from seeing across the street right now. :D