Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wear It Wednesday Makeup Tools

How often do you wash your makeup brushes? How long do you keep your mascara?


After I apply my makeup on Friday mornings, I wash my brushes and my Beauty Blender Sponge.


A bath in warm soapy dishwater and a thorough rinse under running water is followed by laying everything out on a clean towel to air dry.



I store brushes on my dressing table, far away from the bathroom. All sorts of bacteria live in the bathroom, so makeup and applicators do not belong there.



I throw out mascara, eyeliner, and eyeliner pencils every three months. Bacteria builds up on these products, and I don't want to chance an eye infection.

Once a year, I throw away old eyeshadow and blush. Makeup changes as it gets older and bacteria grow, so it's good to start fresh.

Never pump your mascara wand into the tube. You cause it to dry out faster.




I recently added this lucite organizer to my dressing table. I love having all the items I use most often at my fingertips.

My dressing table is this little antique desk I bought when I lived near New Orleans a few years ago. 
My parents gave me a small bench.



The best lighting I have ever gotten from a makeup mirror comes from this one by Ott.


I also use this type of mirror with 5x magnifying on one side.

The few minutes you spend putting on makeup each morning should be comfortable and pleasant. Your makeup should enhance your beauty, not cause health problems. 
This is the type of mirror I pack to take with me for travel. I sit in front of a window to put on makeup if possible.

What tips would you share for storing and keeping your products safe to use?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you use for a make-up mirror while traveling? I'm looking for something that I can take with me when I'm on trips as hotel mirrors don't cut it for me. I have a small hand held mirror I use but it doesn't work as well as something that has soft lighting too and doesn't need to be held while applying make-up.

Susan said...

Thanks for the question Diane. I have added a picture of my travel mirror as well.

Linda Waldon said...

Thanks for the reminder Susan! I'm dropping my brushes into a sudsy bowl today. I actually use cream blushes now so I don't have many brushes. I use my fingers to apply makeup :-)

Muna said...

I use makeup wipes because I heard somewhere that soaking brushes will eventually cause water to go up into the silver casing and cause mold?