Monday, October 12, 2015

Leaf Peeping in North Carolina

Finding a great pair of jeans with just the right amount of fading and a fit that lasts all day makes the search worthwhile!


I wore my new smooth-fit slim ankle jeans from J.Jill for the first time On Sunday. I paired them with a faux suede jacket from Chico's, an old long sleeve white tee, and a large square scarf.



Each fall, we look forward to a long ride into North Carolina's mountains along the Blue Ridge Parkway to enjoy the changing of the leaves.



We stopped in Blowing Rock for lunch at the Six Pence Pub and then sat in the park with our scoop of ice cream from Kilwin's. (That is a requirement if you are visiting Blowing Rock!) On this Sunday, there was a live concert by the Watauga Community Band.









We were joined by at least a million other people who had the same idea on this beautiful fall day. That means parking was almost impossible! We had to resort to one of our secret spots off a side street.





Halfway through the day, and my new jeans are holding up to my fit-test really well! No sagging seat and constant pulling up of these jeans! 




After lunch, we continued our journey toward Grandfather Mountain and Linville.




Grandfather Mountain has its own weather. It can be covered in clouds when the rest of the area is enjoying clear blue skies.




The Linn Cove Viaduct was the last section of the Blue Ridge Parkway to be completed. Breathtaking views can be enjoyed from every angle as you travel across this marvel of engineering.




Going for a walk in the woods in the fall has been a joy for me ever since childhood.






This scarecrow in Newland was made from lampshades! Mr. Mickey said to tell you he has never ever worn one of these on his head at a party. I don't believe him, do you?



At the end of a long day of traveling, the J.Jill jeans still fit the same as they did this morning!






You can tell from this photo that I just folded the square scarf into a triangle and then draped it across my shoulders. When I put the jacket on, it holds the scarf in place to not have to tie it at all.


14 comments:

Susan B said...

Those jeans fit your beautifully! Good to know they don't sag over time. So nice to see some fall weather.

kenju said...

I can't believe you hiked in those heels.

Susan said...

I didn't hike on this day. I just walked around town and stood in front of the car.

Bunny Wilson said...

How do you find the sizes run with J Jill?

DonnaB said...

The only thing I could think about is how in the world you could wear those heels and enjoy the day. How about showing a more comfortable, stylish shoe the rest of us can wear. I am going to check out those jeans, though.

Susan said...

I am not comfortable in flat shoes. Wear what is right for you, that's what I do.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

So jealous you are having fall! It is beautiful! And if I could walk in those shoes, they would so be on my feet! Jealous of that too! Thanks for the inspiration you give!

Canuck-Girl said...

You and Mr. Mickey look sensational and it is not easy to compete with Mother Nature at this time of the year. It is Thanksgiving here in Canada and we are enjoying the most spectacular weather and scenery. Just super; love this time of year when the weather is great! Glad you had a wonderful day and hope you are enjoying your Columbus Day!

Lynn said...

Beautiful scenery. Like the outfit.

Cynthia said...

Great outfit and you hair is fabulous. Still trying to decide if I should grow mine out.

December said...

Thanks for a peek into your fall color drive. The jeans look great and I think Mr. Mickey is dashing, too! I'd have to say I'll be in the flats club with some of the others, but your shoes are always interesting. I've taken a good long look at my wardrobe choices in the past year, thanks to you, and never fail to find inspiration on your blog...THANK YOU!!!

bobbie said...

You're post has encouraged us to head up to Blowing Rock today. We are encouraged by the pictures that the leaves will be lovely. Thanks for the timely post. I have a great new jacket and top to wear with my jeans that will be stylish and comfortable. You always give me inspiration except my outfits will include flat shoes.

bobbie said...

Thanks for a timely post! After looking at you pictures we are heading up to Blowing Rock today knowing that the leaves are beautiful. You look superb. I am looking forward to wearing my new jacket purchased in Blowing Rock in July, a yummy brick red with jeans and a print t that picks up the brick red color. Of course mine will be with flats. No heels for this 62 year old lady with problem feet. But trying to always look my best in retirement.

Unknown said...

They look great on you but if you are a size 10 and have wider hips and thicker legs, slim jeans make people look like a hot mess. Would love to see the perfect jean for those of us who are curvier but not really overweight, just carrying their weight in their hips and legs.