Friday, March 25, 2016

Black and White for Spring

A classic spring color combination is black and white.


It all started with the shoes I wanted to wear for the first time. My goal was to put together a look that worked with my body proportions and complemented their edgy style.


The Vince Camuto shoes had me at hello. The stud details are gold, so for this look, I wanted to complement that detail but not compete with it in my choices for other items. I decided on this old jacket with cream faux leather trim and fun gold zipper details. I found the jacket on the sale rack at Stein Mart last year. The pull-on slim-fitting dressy pants are old from Chico's, as is the tank.



The long tank with sheer details at the neckline and the hem allow the waistline to disappear beneath the jacket—the wide waistband pants with no other details allowed for a smooth foundation to build upon. The faux leather trim and zippers' placement and angles on the jacket are very feminine and figure-flattering.


I wore this look to dinner with friends on Wednesday date night. The evening temperatures are still a bit cool here, allowing me to wear a third piece. 

As the weather heats up during the summer, I will show you how I use sheer details in jackets and cardigans to add my much loved third piece without overheating.



I kept my accessories very minimal with sunglasses and two bold blingy rings. A bag didn't work with this, so Mr. Mickey was the lip color keeper for the evening.

I am often asked how I decide which accessories to add to the look. Accessories are like makeup; they should accentuate, not camouflage. With this in mind, I look at the outfit's style and accessories; they should all come from the same tribe. Think about a linen tunic over a pair of jeans with sandals. A bold, earthy necklace would work well to fill in the neckline, whereas a gold and pearl choker might not relate to the material or the attitude of the look nearly as well.


15 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love black & white combinations, in fact I was always teased at work as I had so many b&w outfits!

I so envy your weather - we've just had snow and then freezing rain for the last 24 hours. Guess that's March going out like a lion.

Happy Easter!!!

Donna said...

Love your style! Love this outfit. Finally I have found a blogger whose style really matches mine! Thank you for sharing your ideas. You are really making me look at my closet with new eyes! I have so many similar pieces to make these looks work for me. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery prepare to be flattered – A LOT!!

Jan Maier said...

Sure do wish I had a Mr. Mickey to be the lipstick carrier! Often a bag, even a clutch, "gets in the way" of an outfit. However, if that's the worst I have to deal with, it isn't so bad. Life is good. Happy Easter Susan, Mr. M. and the other readers who celebrate. If you don't celebrate Easter, have a lovely early Spring weekend!

BrandomNews said...

Fabulous shoes! Love your blogs!

Summer H. said...

LOVE the shoes! This look gives me ideas for several b/w outfits I didn't realize I already have in my closet. Dressing (with both style & comfort) for early spring in the South is a challenge, but your tips have made it a lot easier! Thank you for sharing and Happy Easter to all!

Trish said...

WOW! What a killer outfit! You look fantastic. And I love, love, love the shoes. Have a lovely weekend. Trish

Anonymous said...

This outfit looks stunning on you!

Kristien62 said...

I look forward to your posts so much. Your tips have become invaluable. They are helping me as I go through my closet and eliminate or repurpose my things. A very Happy Easter to you.

Unknown said...

Why wouldn't a simple black bag work? You look great, as always tho & love the black & white look.

Pam said...

I love reading your blog! I am trying to reconfigure my wardrobe but as a petite woman your ideas don't always work for me. Can you recommend some tips for dressing someone my size? I'm 5'0", and wear a 16 petite.
Thanks, and Happy Easter.

KC said...

Love this outfit, Susan! Thanks for sharing your thought process as you create your overall look. I am learning a lot from you!

Susan said...

Jan, You are correct a simple black bag would have worked but I don't have one. All of mine had some sort of detail that wasn't right for the look.

Susan said...

Thank you Pam. Try looking back on the blog for Tips for Petites. There are also some petite bloggers who share outfit ideas that you might like. My favorite is Susan from http://unefemme.net/

iameverywoman.eu said...

You look beautiful in this outfit. Elegant but modern. Have a great time at Easter - HAPPY EASTER - from Margot - www.iameverywoman.eu

Andrea said...

You own the best shoes!!! I love this entire outfit!