Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Style Formula

How did you find your style formula?


That is a question I often get, so I will try to share that formula here today.




Knowing your body proportions and details is vital in deciding what looks best on you. My shoulders are wider than my hips, and my lower legs are short and broad in proportion to my thighs. I have a thick tummy and a roundish face. I have to work with that's what I dress to emphasize what I like and downplay my least favorite parts.



The open jacket over the slim-fitting tank's scoop neckline allows my face to appear to be less round, and the tank adds no bulky material, which would add pounds visually.

The way I part my hair, its length, and the angle of the cut make my face look less round.



The strong shoulders and slimming waist details of this jacket from White House Black Market give the illusion that I have a slimmer waistline than I do. If it were a warmer day, I would have pushed up the sleeves to visually lose another five pounds. The slim-fitting straight-leg ankle jeans are from J.Jill. They create a sleek line and balance for my legs without pooling on the tops of my shoes.




The Steve Madden suede fringe sandals are high enough to almost balance my short calves with my thighs. 



The top handle satchel bag is a good choice for me because it visually creates balance. If this were a shoulder bag resting in the middle of my body, it would add width to an area I do not want to focus on. The gray Saks tank top and bag by Zac Posen and Balmain's sunglasses are from Saks Off 5th.



The points above explain why these pieces work to balance my body visually. I love wearing this combination of a jacket, tank, and slim-fitting straight-leg ankle jeans (not skinny). This look works well with my lifestyle. I can add accessories to these basic classic pieces that show my personality and finish off the look in many different ways.


I hope that my blog posts help you find your own style formula that allows you to get dressed with confidence and ease each day.

19 comments:

Catia from Leuli said...

Fabulous all the way.

Cynthia said...

Thank you for sharing, it's difficult to reveal what we consider our flaws, but it is helpful to know how to visually correct them. I wear a lot of skirts, and like those with a slight flare as opposed to pencil skirts-I don't like the sausage look! I notice you wear a lot of slacks, but I think you could look fabulous in the DVF wrap dress with v neck, just below the knee length. You have given me a lot to think about.

Kristien62 said...

Thank you. You inspire us to look stylish and enjoy who we are. You even look chic at the post office!

Susan said...

Thank you Kristien62. The wind was blowing so hard we couldn't take any photos so we moved inside. :)

Joanne said...

(Free WiFi, yeah!) I found my fashion style by some blog called 50 Not Frumpy and this woman named Susan Street. ;-) You have helped me so much! I do not dress up on a daily basis if I am just schlepping around the house. But, if I have to go out, like taking my car in for repair today, thanks to you pulling together a polished outfit is a breeze!

Rosebeme said...

Great tips as always!!

Unknown said...

Susan....thanks for showing the flats. Great alternative for me.

Unknown said...

Great article! It's all about the silhouette:) Thanks for your honest sharing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrienne Shubin said...

Susan, You look so fresh and very chic as well! I love those flats. I am always looking for a stylish flat sandal - thank you for the recommendation!
Adrienne

Unknown said...

Love your style and have adapted the silhouette approach to my own. Wish we could see more dresses from you though.

Unknown said...

Love the advice. I'm 5'1", but in general my body type is very similar to yours. I'll definitely use your advice !!

ci said...

Gosh, so many things to take into consideration . When you explain everything, it makes sense, but I never would have thought about some of your points. Thank you for all the information! You're such a great teacher!

Unknown said...

I love that you share your sense of style with us! But I must say that I think the fringed high heels stop the line of your leg and lend to making the leg look thicker. Just my 2 cents.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Another great jacket, Susan! And the purse is so chic! Have a wonderful day...

KC said...

Thanks, Susan, for the style info. Although I have a different body type, I can still formulate ideas from the points you make about minimizing or maximizing. Your outfit looks great on you. Love the white jacket!

Jennifer said...

I love the way you explain it Susan! It makes perfect sense and you look wonderful.

Unknown said...

Great tips.

Andrea said...

Great explanations of why you dress the way you do! And I love the flat sandal suggestion! I wear mainly flats but want them to be stylish and fun!